Health & safety Solutions
Health and Safety Advice and Consultancy
All organisations with 5 or more employees are required by UK Health & Safety law to have:
• A documented health and safety policy and risk assessments
• Access to competent health & safety advice
• Documented arrangements for the planning, organisation, control, monitoring and review of health & safety arrangements (i.e. a health & safety manual)
• Adequate health and safety training and Refreshers for managers and employees
Safety Training Southwest can help with all of these issues. We provide a wide range of fully tailored solutions to assist our client’s to comply with their legal duties.
The penalties of not complying with health & safety law can be serious:
• Unlimited fines, to be paid straight from bottom line profits.
• Individual fines and prison sentences , possible Director disqualifications.
• Publicity of prosecutions, leading to loss of orders and damaged reputation.
Small to Medium Enterprises (SME’s) can rarely afford to employ a full-time health & safety manager or advisor – that’s where we come in. We provide health & safety services and advice as and when needed, giving SME’s a cost effective health & safety solution such as our annual health and safety support contracts. We can help larger organisations too – for example by providing an independent Audit of their management system, or by mentoring/supporting their internal health & safety organisers.
Our promises to you: We will:
• Provide services that are totally tailored to the needs of our clients
• Provide professional, practical advice
• Ensure advice and reports are delivered promptly
• Advise of charges before work is agreed
• Help you effectively implement Health & Safety culture change.
Our expert team hold top class qualifications and their experience is second to none.
Telephone/ Email Support
All organisations are legally required to have access to competent health & safety advice.
Yes, there are a variety of free help lines that offer health & safety advice, but they will only tell you what needs to be done – not how to implement it in your business and help you do it.
Safety Training Southwest provides telephone/email support packages starting from just a few hundred pounds per year this covers anything that can be done without visiting site. This might include:
• Emailing templates, forms, checklists, guidance etc.
• Providing advice following any accidents or incidents
• Reviewing suitability of risk assessments/method statements
• Assisting with completion of contractor approval questionnaires
Our telephone/email support clients will also receive our regular client health and safety newsletter that keeps them up to date with changes in health and safety legislation and other Information.
Health & Safety Support Contracts
As well as a variety of health and safety services, Safety Training Southwest offer Annual health and safety support contracts that are totally tailored to your requirements. By taking out a contract, Safety Training Southwest will be effectively taking on the role of your “competent health & safety advisors” as required by UK health & safety legislation.
Contracts start from just a few hundred pounds a year for a telephone/email support contract. However, most companies need more help than this and many go for our basic annual support contract, which includes:
• A tailored health & safety policy (a legal requirement),Site visits and Training.
• A full audit/inspection of existing practices/procedures followed by a report
• A health & safety manual including all required forms, templates etc.
• Unlimited telephone/email support and Newsletter update service.
Many options can be added to the contract for clients with more complex needs e.g. risk assessments, regular progress visits, reports and individual training .
Health & Safety Policy
A written health & safety policy is a legal requirement for any company employing 5 or more staff. The Health & Safety at Work Etc. Act 1974 also says that the policy must be regularly reviewed and revised, and must be brought to the attention of all your employees.
Whatever your current position, STS can help. If you have no current policy at all, we can work with you to develop a brand new one. If you already have a policy, but feel it is a little outdated and not quite to your needs, we can review and update the policy trimming any sections not relevant and adding any required sections.
As with all of our services, the level of detail will be proportionate to the level of risk in your business. If you have nothing in place you may well need more than simply a health and safety policy.
Health & Safety Risk Assessment
It is a legal requirement for organisations with 5 or more staff to carry out documented health and safety Risk Assessments of all of their significant hazards in the workplace. Safety Training Southwest can assist with risk assessments in any of the following ways:
- Safety Training Southwest can carry out your risk assessments for you or can help you through the risk assessment process by providing forms and guidance.
- Safety Training Southwest can train your staff to do your own Risk assessments.
- Legislation requires a specific COSHH Risk Assessment – where chemical use is concerned, obtaining the safety data sheet alone does not comply with the law.
Health & Safety Inspections
Health & safety inspections are an important monitoring tool to ensure that hazards remain controlled and that employees and others are not at risk. They should be carried out on a regular basis. Safety Training Southwest can carry out full inspections at any or all of your premises, these inspections cover all physical parts of the premises and documentation on-site.
Full reports are produced that detail:
• Observations made and hazards identified
• Level of Risk (High, Medium or Low)
• Any recommendations necessary to ensure ongoing legal compliance
Health & Safety Audits
Safety Training Southwest can assist businesses that require Audits of their health and safety management system. For smaller organisations, this might be as simple as an inspection of the premises and a review of current health and safety documentation after which a report is issued detailing any recommendations.
Larger organisations may be looking for a full external Audit to check their health and safety management system which are carried out against the requirements of UK legislation and the principles contained in the Health & Safety Executive guidance on health & safety management systems, following the audit, a prioritised action plan will be produced to guide any required improvements.
Any accidents suffered at work should be investigated to determine the causes and ensure that they cannot happen again. The results of the investigation may prove useful when defending any action taken by enforcement authorities, or defending against compensation claims.
Serious accidents also have to be reported to the Health & Safety Executive under the Regulations - RIDDOR. STS can assist with any accident investigation.
Health & Safety Manuals
All organisations with 5 or more employees are required to have written arrangements to cover Health & Safety Management .
E.g. HS(G) 65 Successful Health & Safety Management:
This essentially means that some form of health & safety manual should be in place and used as a TOOL of the business. We can help you by producing a tailored health & safety manual for any type of business to ensure compliance and help you run the system effectively.